Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Timber and Missions

Landing on the Truck
Flying timber, and agricultural flying in general: WOW! When you learn how to fly a helicopter, you never realize where it can take you. Flying timber means spraying a logged area to kill the weeds so that the new trees have a chance to grow and mature. It's very technical flying because the terrain is rough and usually there is tall timber all around. You're also at a high altitude, with hot temps, and heavy with spray and fuel, combined with being "out of ground effect"; all things that make lift harder to achieve.

THEN, on top of that, you need to land on and take off from a truck because there is nowhere suitable on the ground to put a helicopter. This truly is the most difficult flying I have ever done. I feel that this type of flying will prepare me well for the missions field where situations could be similar; high, hot, and heavy over a heavily treed area. I believe that God has all along been directing my flying career path, and this step is no exception.

We're back in the Banks/Newberg area again and I will be flying 1,000 acres of timber over the next week or so. RV living has been comfortable and easy so far. We love not having all the utility bills and still have all of the comforts of home wherever we are. We have a bigger back yard than we ever have (Stub Stewart State Park) and the kids and the dog are loving it.

If you think of it, please pray for my employer and I, that we are able to communicate effectively and that I can be a witness of God's love to him.

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment